Monday, 8 July 2013

Quick and easy: Making gift decorations from recycled notebooks

This post has been planned for way too long, in fact I took the pictures in the beginning of this year. I have for the last couple of months postponed the process of adding watermarks and writing up tutorials, but I thought that while watermarking pictures of the garden I would get this post done too. I hope you will enjoy it :) Pictures of the blossoms will be up tomorrow :)

My mum preaches recycling and all that jazz, so despite fighting it in my earlier years I have now succumb to the joys of DIY and recycling. In fact I have another DIY in the works for you guys when I come home from Peru :) Lets begin. 
The different stages of the flower
Supplies: 4 paper strips left over when all the pages are ripped out of a perforated notebook, a stapler and a string.

Time: Each flower takes about 10 minutes top.

Process:
1. Find four strips of paper
2. Create a loop letting the paper overlap so one hole is double as shown above. Staple either on the one side of the hole as shown or on both sides.
ALTERNATIVE/ I did not any flowers using this method, but the flower would look quite different using this. This is one strand bend around, staple it in place either side of where I have my finger. I would suggest only using two strands for this flower as it is a bit wider.
3. Find the middle of the circle opposite where you have stapled, making it into the shape shown above.  
4. Once you have created four loops lay them on top of each other with their central hole over one another, pull a string through tying knots either side to hold the flower in place. Make sure the knots are as close to one another as possible as otherwise the flower will look floppy, and well not much like a flower.

Now all that's left is to enjoy your creation, whether it is by hanging it up like I've done or by adding it as a decoration to a present. I love the minimalistic qualities it posses and love the idea of adding it to a present either wrapped in white, grey or black paper.

I hope you liked this DIY, I just happened to have quite a few notebooks laying around and got frustrated looking at all this paper I was throwing away. If you have other suggestions for how you can use this paper I would love to hear them. :)

Painting the garden with flowers

I thought I would just share the latest changes I have done in the garden. I have for a long time wanted to make a flowerbed at the back of the garden to break up the cement flagstones and the grey palet the garden has going on. I have some way to go... (read: need to dig up a LOT of sand and replace it with garden soil.)






I'm off to Peru tomorrow, but hopefully I will be able to finish processing some pictures of all the lovely  blossoms in my garden tonight, so check back tomorrow :) Have a great day :)

Wednesday, 3 July 2013

IKEA hack... Sort of.

As promised here's an IKEA hack I did recently. I have to confess that it is not the one I initially planned to post today, but as I am still not fully done setting cleaning up after the other one I have no pictures yet. So I'm afraid that one won't be up till after I come back from Peru. In the meantime there will be a few posts coming the coming days.

This hack came about when I was wondering what to do with the side of my IKEA PAX closet. I had initially stuck Slätthult stickers on the side, but grew a little tired of them and needed something else. I remembered I had these picture ledges, so as soon as I could get them from my mum I drilled holes in the side of the PAX unit and I was away.


I unfortunately forgot to take pictures (read: too excited to do this hack), but the same idea applies as hanging the shelf on walls: hold it up at the desired hight, use a spiritlevel to make sure it is level, mark the holes and drill.
I had played around with the screws that is used to attatch two PAX units for my other IKEA hack, that I will share in August, and thought they ought to be able to be used in this hack too. I ordered 4 from IKEA, unfortunately I found out the screws were too long, and I didn't have the tools to cut them shorter.
Instead I used metal washers to make up for it (check pictures below).

All in all I'm very pleased with the result, and I think it is perfect for anyone renting not wanting to hammer nails in the wall. I love that I can change what I display as it is very close to my bed and I wake up to it every morning.




I will share some snazzier after-pictures as soon as I get the rest of the room in order ;) Oh the joy of living in a flat with very little storage :)

Have a great day :) 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...